Musée de l'Orangerie
Musée de l’Orangerie (Orangery Museum), located in the Tuilerie Gardens, near the Place de la Concorde, is best
known for holding Claude Monet's famous "Nymphéas" (Water Lilies). The building is a pavilion greenhouse structure,
which was built in 1852.
The photo shows the front entrance of the museum.
Monet produced many paintings of the water lilies in his garden in Giverny, Normandy, during the period between
the 1890s and the 1920s.
He donated eight large panels of Nymphéas to the government, which decided to house and exhibit them in the
Orangerie. The paintings were installed in a specially designed oval gallery in 1927, the year after Monet
Water Lilies of the Orangerie as Giverny Art Print
Buy at AllPosters.com
Further works were added subsequently, notably the art collection of Jean Walter and Paul Guillaume.
Today, as well as Monet's "Nymphéas", the collection includes 10 works by Matisse, 15 works by Cézanne, 28 works by
André Derain, Nudes by Aristide Maillol, 12 works by Picasso, 22 works by Chaïm Soutine, and 24 works by Pierre
The museum was closed for renovation work in January 2000 and reopened in 2006.
Musée de l’Orangerie
Jardin des Tuileries
Lines 1, 8, 12, Concorde station
Open everyday, except on Tuesdays, May 1st and December 25th
from 9am to 6pm. (premises start to be vacated at 5.45pm)
Firmin Bourgeois and Ludovico Visconti