Located on the Left Bank of the river Seine, opposite the Tuileries Gardens, the Musée d'Orsay was converted from
the railway station, Gare d'Orsay, in the 1980s.
railway station was built for the Universal Exhibition of 1900. It was the head of the southwestern French railroad
network until 1939. But as the railways were electrified subsequently, the platforms proved too short for the new,
longer trains and so the station could only serve suburban traffic.
d'Orsay opened to the public in December, 1986. Its collection covers mainly French art from the period between
1848 and 1915. It houses works, which came from three principal sources, the Louvre Museum, the Musée du Jeu de
Paume, and the original National Museum of Modern Art.
d'Orsay collection includes sculptures, furniture, and photography, as well as paintings, but it is known
particularly for its impressionist and post-impressionist works by painters, such as Cezanne (56 paintings), Degas
(43), Gauguin (24), Manet (34), Monet (86), Pissarro (46), Renoir (81), and Van Gogh (24).
include works by Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux, Jules Cavelier, Camille Claudel, Honoré Daumier, Paul Gauguin, Auguste
Rodin, and François Rude.
The museum is
currently undergoing major renovation and improvement works. Its collections have been rearranged, but it remains
largely open to the public.
Musée d'Orsay entrance: 1, rue de la Légion d'Honneur
Line 12, stations Assemblee Nationale, Solferino
Museum and exhibitions
Open from 9.30am to 6pm daily, except Mondays
Late night on Thursdays until 9.45pm
Last tickets sold at 5pm (9pm Thursdays)
Museum cleared at 5.30pm (9.15pm Thursdays)
Group visits, pre-booked only, Tuesday to Saturday, 9.30am to 4pm (Thursdays until 8pm)
Closed on Mondays, on 1 January, 1 May and 25 December
Station 1898 - 1900
Museum 1979 - 1986
Station - Lucien Magne, Emile Bénard and Victor Laloux
Museum - ACT architecture group, made up of M. Bardon, M. Colboc and M. Philippon