Musée des Beaux-Arts de la Ville de Paris
The Petit Palais is located absolutely opposite the Grand Palais on Avenue Winston Churchill,
off the Champs Elysees. Designed by Charles Girault, it was built for the Universal Exposition in 1900.
The building was inaugurated in December, 1902, as a museum under the name "Palais des Beaux Arts de la Ville de
Paris". So it has been Paris's Fine Arts museum since then.
The permanent collection, which is free to visit currently, includes a wide range of paintings, sculptures,
furniture and art objects, ranging in period from antiquity through to the 20th century.
A notable bequest was made by the Dutuit brothers in 1902, which included a fine collection of 17th century
Flemish and Dutch art, with works by Rubens, Rembrandt and others.
Another major donation was made by an American couple, called Tuck, in 1921. The Tuck gallery consists of four
connecting rooms, which are devoted to 18th century art, including beautiful furniture in the Rococo and Louis XVI
styles, as well as Sevres and Dresden china, English enamel work and French earthenware.
The period around 1900 is represented by objets d'art in the art nouveau style, such as glassware by Emile Gallé
and a dining room by Hector Guimard.
The Petit Palais closed in 2,000 for major renovation works, reopening in 2005. The building is on two levels,
with a ground floor and an attractive interior garden level, with a cafe, on the first floor.
Avenue Winston Churchill
Métro: lines 1 and 13, station Champs Elysees Clemenceau
Tuesday to Sunday from 10am to 6pm
Museum closes at 5.45pm